Friday, September 13, 2013

A Chaotic Harmony

Hi everyone! :)

It's my second week here in India and all is well. aside from the fact that I miss cheese! there isn't sliced cheese or anything of the kind, although some sauces (paneers specifically) are cheese based. Who knew that that would be the food I'd miss most? More than French fries or chocolate. However, I do enjoy Indian food, especially the flatbreads and a sort of rice patty called idli.

Today we celebrated the festival of Onam (a major festival in the nearby state of Kerala) on campus with a GIANT lunch served using a banana leaf as a plate, with rice and bread and so many curries and chutneys. There were also different games played, all good-heartedly competitive. and this evening we headed to the Ganesha festival, celebrating a Hindu god who stands for prosperity, where large statues of Ganesh are dunked in a lake. It was the first time I'd been in Bangalore at night, and it was exhilarating.

Earlier in the week I experienced shopping in Bangalore for the first time - chaotic and yet oddly harmonious. There aren't really lanes for cars, they go where they want and somehow it works and I haven't yet seen a crash. Amidst that, there are bikes and motor scooters and autorickshaws and pedestrians walking across the street. There are so many sights and sounds and smells - garbage, flowers, spices, exhaust, trinkets to buy, street vendors, music, talking...and yet, it doesn't bother me. I've only felt overstimulated a few times. It's new, but exciting. I bought a few shirts and some leggings, and am finding them very comfortable to wear.

In our classes, we've been talking about the roots of poverty, the difference between culture and ideology, and so many other new concepts. As well, we've been bonding and earlier this week had a class session where we shared our life stories. I am so comfortable with the group, everyone's so trustworthy and genuine. We've also discussed the challenges we'll face throughout the semester as well as the struggle to reenter American life. How do I challenge consumerism yet keep being a functioning and acceptable member of society?

At some point, maybe we'll puzzle the answers to those questions out. For now, I am content :) next week we travel to the city of Koppal, where Visthar (the NGO who is hosting us) has a school for girls. We'll interact with the children and discuss social problems and it will be wonderful!

Peace and love,
Malyn

No comments:

Post a Comment